Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hunger Games: Catching Fire Book Review

-Contains Spoilers-

You guys may or may not know about this, but I have not been reading book for the past two months or so AT ALL. It's not that I was busy or I can't find any good books. I just... didn't read. I called it The Reader's Block.

I don't know how it started or what started it, but it happened. I'm 11 books behind on the 50 books challenge. It was SO bad. But now, the virus is gone and I'm here to talk to you guys about one of the first books I've read in a long time, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the second installation of the Hunger Games trilogy and it basically continues Katniss' life after the 24th Hunger Games where she inadvertently sparked the start of rebellion throughout Panem- defying Capitol by giving those berries to Peeta, blowing the games up to their faces. In this book, we see Katniss trying to cope with the changes that has happened to her life: being a celebrity, her relationships with Gale and Peeta, not having to hunt just to keep her family alive and more importantly, being the symbol of a spreading rebellion. President Snow doesn't want this rebellion to happen, of course, and it's obvious that he tried to end it by putting Katniss back into the Games again. For the Quarter Quell of the Games, the card apparently said that two of the previous victors would come back to the Games.

I really, really loved this book but I think my favorite part of this book is the character developments. Katniss had developed from a girl who was just trying to keep her and her family alive to a rebel who wants to fight. In between fifty pages we see this change- Katniss becomes stronger and more independent. Her relationships change, too. Particularly with Gale. Their innocent childhood before the games has change to something more complicated and part of it is because of Peeta, who is still head over heels with her.
I also loved all the cliffhangers, especially in the end. It raised quite a few questions: Where is Peeta? What happened on District 12? What is on District 13? How will this end? Will it ever?

Overall, I really REALLY loved this book. It's fast-paced and there were quite a lot of revelations all through-out. I can't wait to read the last book and see what happens. 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment