Saturday, January 28, 2012

Holes Book Review

*May Contain Spoilers*



I was in a charity shop with my bestfriend one day and we saw this book in the bookshelf. I didn't have money of my own that day (I had my mom's cash) so she went and bought it for me! That should have been the first sign that this book is going to be really, really amazing.

Holes by Louis Sachar is a book about Stanley Yelnats who has been taken to Camp Green Lake because he was accused of stealing a pair of shoes by a famous baseball player, Clyde Livingston. Camp Green Lake was once an actual lake but it has now been turned into a desert and a boys' juvenile detention centre has been built.  The boys sent into this centre has only one job: to dig holes. 5ft in diameter and 5ft deep, like their shovels. Mr. Sir, their supervisor, says that this is help them build character but it has become more and more obvious as you read that this is not true, and they are, in fact, looking for something. 

The thing that I liked most about this book and the thing that I found the most interesting is that there are two stories: The story of Stanley Yelnats, and the story of his grandfather. The way this story intertwines in the end of the book is absolutely genius. Every single strand of the story is woven in its place and nothing is neglected. This is one of those books that actually make sense in the end. It's very straight forward, and so is the writing. That's why I love it.

5 stars. Definitely.

Love, 
Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment