Sunday, March 25, 2012

May The Odds Be EVAH In Your Favour

-Contains movie spoilers-

Hello everybody!

I saw The Hunger Games last Friday and I surprisingly enjoyed it! I had low expectations for that movie mainly because I always find that books turned movies are disappointing (I think I speak for everybody when I say that we had a very traumatic Harry Potter turned movie experience *coughwhathappenedtothehalfbloodprincecough*) but I thought that this movie stayed true to its book most of the time. 

First of all, when I saw the trailer for The Hunger Games I honestly didn't think I would like the casting at all. I thought that they messed up Gale and also Katniss and Peeta, and I really expected Effie Trinket to be more plump. But I thought that these actors and actresses did their job very well of capturing the essence of their characters that they sort of grow on you throughout the movie. Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate how ridiculously good-looking Cato is?

Good? Good.
Moving on.

My favorite part of the film is the Tracker Jacker scene. I love how they portrayed the hallucinations that Katniss was going through at the time... her father and the explosions in the mines and the way the broken pieces were put back together by the end of the scene, and Peeta screaming at Katniss to "Run! Get away from here!" That scene was perfect. Every single bit. I also loved that they not only focused on the games, but also on what is happening outside the games. I loved the control room scenes and the meetings between Seneca Crane and President Snow in his rose garden, and Seneca Crane's end. I don't think there's a better way of setting the base of Snow's blood-thirty personality for the next two movies. I thought that the representations of the different districts were also really good. The poverty in the 12 Districts and the ridiculousness of the Capitol was really well done. And of course, the fighting and training montages. This rarely happens but the training room was exactly how I imagined it. The shooting-the-pig's-apple scene was amazingly done, and the Careers' condescending attitude on Peeta was really, really good. As for the Arena scenes, my favorite was, as I've said, the Tracker Jacker scene, but also the blowing-up-of-supplies scene and the Cornucopia scene in the very beginning. I thought that the filmmakers showed The Careers' brutality enough without making the scene overly violent. And of course, Rue's scene. I can't really say anything else. It was good.

Of course, I also had my disappointments. I was a bit disappointed with the mutations near the end of the movie. They were supposed to show that the beasts wore the faces of their previous competitors and it was a bit disheartening to see that that didn't happen. The acquiring of the mockingjay pin was also shown differently, as you guys know. I just think that Katniss found hope in the mayor's daughter when she was giving that pin at a time when Katniss was walking straight to hell, and that didn't happen either. 

But all in all, I enjoyed the film immensely. it has stuck to the book most of the time and I'm really happy about that.

I'll see you guys some time soon, but in the meantime, THAT IS MAHOGANY!

Love,
Danielle.





No comments:

Post a Comment