Friday, September 14, 2012

Transitions

I have been in 4th year of secondary school for a couple of weeks now and it has been amazing so far. For those who don't know Transition Year is a non-compulsory year in Ireland that is quite different from any other years. Instead of focusing on theory, TY focuses more on practicalities and activities that are going to be relevant for our future career choices. This involves trying out subjects that our school offers but that we didn't do for our Junior Cycle, and going on work experience. We also go on fun-and-sports-related activities often.

Last thursday we went into this place called Braveforce, which is basically an army-like obstacle course. It involved a bit of running, climbing, wading through freezing cold waters and, erm, mud. Yes, lots of that. At first everyone was quite negative about trying out the whole thing but it turned out to be lots of fun. For me, at least (because I kept imagining that it was some sort of training for me to gain access to the Cherub Academy/ be the Doctor's companion. Hey, it worked.). The only downside of the whole thing was that it was an Army Assault Course. There wasn't a space for luxury. We had to get dressed in a barn, and we didn't get to have a shower- after dragging through mud. I washed my hair in a tap at the barn and dried myself off with a towel I bought. The worst part is that we stopped by Liffey Valley on the way home and let me tell you, there is nothing quite as annoying as walking through the mall with gritty hair and seeing a homeless person on every mirror you see.

Having said that I did have fun in the course. One thing that definitely stuck to my mind was having to wade through freezing cold, muddy water, and having to swim through freezing cold, muddy water. Like, my head underwater kind of swim. I'll show you guys what I mean.

Photo is not mine, I got this from the Braveforce website, which I will link at the end of the post.
This is a small, quite deep, muddy lake with hurdles over it that you have to either climb over, or swim under. Me being me, I chose to swim under it. It's not even that it was muddy, it's just that the water, as I've said about three thousand times, was freezing. I thought it was the most fun though, if that makes sense. I felt like an under-provisioned adventurer. I had fun playing pretend. 

Also last week, I got my Junior Cert results! I was very pleased with it. The Junior Certs was definitely a one-of-a-kind experience and it was definitely worth it. If you're wondering I got 5 As and 5Bs, including an A in History and English, something that I did not expect at all that I would get. Now, though, I feel like the growing-up part of life is chasing me and I have nowhere to run, and it's scary and I don't like it. But it something that has to be dealt with. I have no choice but to let it happen.

And that's just what's happening in my life! Just a quick update, this post is. I don't mean to pull a communitychannel on you guys but inspiration, man. Where do you download those things?

I'll see you guys soon.

Love,
Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment