Friday, January 25, 2013

Story: The Two Euro Incident

I needed to buy that French book. It was January and I should've gotten it in September, but the book shop kept running out of stock, and every day I had something to do, or no one would take me to town. This was my chance to buy that book and I wasn't about to let it get away.

My dad handed me the money. "Here," he said. "I'll pick you up in about 15 minutes."

While walking to the shop I counted the money I had in my hand. Fifteen euros. I hoped this was enough. 'Books wouldn't be more expensive than this, would they?' I thought.

I entered the shop. It was pretty much empty, except for the sales assistant, and two customers. Three, including me. I walked up to the sales assistant and asked for the book I was looking for. She went to the stock room and after a few minutes handed the book to me. I saw the bright yellow price tag almost immediately. It said 15.95. Shit.

"Um," I started. "My money's not enough for this right now, so can you please wait until my dad gets here?"
"Sure," she said politely enough. "No problem, I'll just put them behind the counter."

I headed over to the other side of the shop and quickly dialed my father's phone number. He picked up after the second ring.

"Hello?"
"Pa, the money's not enough."
"What!? I gave you 17 euros, how much is that book!?"
"No dad, you only gave me 15..."
"I gave you 17 euros, Danielle."
We were shouting now.
"No dad, you gave me 15!"
"Well I gave you all of the money I brought with me!"
I sighed.
"I'll call you back!"

I ended the call. When I turned around a lady with dark blonde hair and a dark green parka was standing in front of me.

"I have two euro here, if you want?"
I stared at her, and then at the coin she was holding on the edge of her fingers.
"Really?" I managed to utter.
"Yeah, totally," she replied with a smile.
I gladly took the coin from her hand and proceeded to pay for the book.

"Thank you," I whispered as I walked past her again.

She smiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment