Saturday, March 23, 2013

Work Experience Finale, Plans, and Books

ALMOST forgot to write a blog post this week! Again!

I have finished my work experience weeks, all of them, yesterday (HALLELUJAH)! I was really sad about leaving the hospital I was working at for the past week. I learned so many things about medicine, all from the situation of junior doctors in Ireland to how the doctors diagnose their patients to what I needed to do to become a doctor. The stay was really, very beneficial for me and for my career planning, the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, and tried to get me involved in so many ways, and it was just wonderful. Since it's a relatively small hospital they could focus on informing me about the procedures that they were doing and I have a feeling that I wouldn't have gotten that if I was in a bigger hospital. I am forever grateful to them for accepting me in, and I cannot thank them enough for the attention that they've given me throughout my stay. I'm just, so, so grateful.

I've also had my first voice lesson with the pianist today, and it went extremely well! Surprisingly well, actually, seeing as my chain of practice days are not really very impressive. So today is officially the start of my Easter Break!

I only have two weeks off, so I really want to cram a lot of things in them! Think of this is as an extended agenda.

First is books. I've borrowed a lot of non-fiction books in the library just because I was so inspired when I was in the hospital and I really want to educate myself more with things that I find interesting if not relevant to the career that I'm currently focusing my eyes on. The books that I borrowed are "The 21st Century Brain" by Steven Rose (I find neurology incredibly fascinating), "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking (I've wanted to read this book for such a long time now! I'm excited) and "The Yellow House" by Martin Gayford (this book is about Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin's life when they shared a home for nine weeks in Arles, before Van Gogh suffered a psychological crisis. I have been interested with Van Gogh ever since he was featured as a character in a Doctor Who episode. We also learned a poem by Mark Roper when I was in third year called Van Gogh's Yellow Chair based on Van Gogh's painting and it only added fuel to the Van Gogh fire). I also borrowed Tom Hooper's The King's Speech, because I've been hearing a lot of good things about it ever since it came out! I'm finishing with An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (I'm about halfway through) at the moment though and I'm finding it really engaging! I'm nearly thinking it better than Paper Towns. Nearly.

I also want to finally make a mixed tape for someone before this day next month. Don't tell the person though it's a secret. I've also haven't made a fort in such a long time now, so I'm adding that to the list. Also, paper crowns. I want to make paper crowns. Yes.

Well that's all I could think of right now. I'll let you guys know if I have any other plans. :)

Life's currently going well for me, I hope it is for you too.

Love,
Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment