Monday, August 26, 2013

Childhood Dreams

Well, this is it. Summer is finally over, and whether I like it or not I'm going to have to say hello to fifth year tomorrow, the day my two-year long road-to-the-leaving pilgrimage starts. It's time to seriously start thinking about my future and all the other things that just sucks the fun out of life. You may or may not know the little pre-mid-life crisis I had last year, when I finally realised that I couldn't do everything I dreamt of as a child. That realisation actually almost broke me. It's the realisation that one life isn't enough.

Today I want to talk to you guys about the things that, as a child, I seriously considered myself doing. I didn't care how much it would cost me to do it, or how much time I have to spend one each occupation, or when in my life I'm going to fit becoming each of these things. I was going to do them and nobody could stop me.

1. An Astronaut
When I was twelve, my school invited a team of astronomers to give the entire high school lectures about celestial bodies. It was pretty awesome. We spent the night in the school field under the stars and we got to do all sorts of things such as look into a telescope and see different planets, and I got to hold a meteorite, and we were given a little handbook that deals with astronomy and all the wonderful things about it. That's when I seriously considered being an astronaut, and I actually haven't let go of that dream quite yet. Although I have my sights set on being a medical doctor, I still dream of being sent outer space for some reason and seeing what it's like out there. I still want to get on a space ship and step foot on the moon and maybe even on Mars. Of course the possibility of this happening is, like, zero, and I haven't really done my research on how to be an astronomer... It dawns on me now that maybe I should, if I really wanted it that bad. I have my entire self wrapped up on me being a doctor that I forgot about this one... I should really check it out again.

2. A Businesswoman
My uncle was a business man and I looked up to him so much. He was one of my role models when I was a kid and I thought of following his footsteps and wearing formalwear everyday with clunky heels and a briefcase, counting money in a cubicle, because that's what I though business people did. And then I actually studied Business Studies for the Junior Cert. Nope, not for me.

3. A Writer
I mean I haven't let go of this one either, only now I know that being writer is much harder than I previously thought. Also, I have sort of fallen in love with medicine as a course. But who knows, maybe I'd write a book along the way. I'm not closing this door yet.

4. A Medical Doctor
I don't even remember where this fascination with medicine started. But when I was younger and adults would aske me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would always say a doctor. The ambition took a bit of a turn when the idea of me being a businessperson showed itself but not it's back and it's the only profession that I'm seriously, seriously considering. I have done my research and I know exactly what to do to be a doctor, it's just the actually doing it part that is a bit complicated. It's a long and very difficult road but I truly see myself doing this job for the next 40 years, because everything about it is so interesting to me. It's definitely right now my first choice of an occupation.

5. A Prima Ballerina
I told you guys about my love and devotion for ballet before coming to Ireland, and I used to dream of getting the lead part in a ballet show when I get older. The chances of that happening are so slim now I can't even see it, but the dream was good while it lasted.

6. An Acrobat
This was even more fleeting than my dream of being a prima ballerina, but ugh it would be so cool if I can actually do it! And I think all I have to do is join a circus. And work on my skill as an acrobat, obviously. I think this is going to be my back up plan if I don't succeed on being a doctor.

I think that's all I'm going to share today. There were a lot more of course, fleeting ones, but dreams nevertheless. Writing this post made me think of that Frank Sinatra song, High Hopes.
Just what makes that silly ol' ant 
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant
But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie in the sky hopes
So anytime you're gettin' low, 'stead of lettin' go, just remember that ant
Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant
Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant
People always say we can do anything, but I wish we could do everything.

-Danielle

Theme song of the day: High Hopes by Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment