Saturday, August 31, 2013

The End Of All Things

DAY THIRTY ONE OF BALA! I did it! I actually managed to blog (almost) every day in August! I'm so proud of myself because I haven't done a BALA in such a long time. I'm really happy.

Although BALA is ending, I will still try to talk to you guys at least twice every week during Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday for the rest of the year. I will try and stick to this schedule at least until December, and we'll see where we're going to go from there, because by then I probably would know where I stand in school work and homework and whether or not I could manage keeping blogging up. I probably will though, so you don't have to worry (or do).

Today my dad finally finished the desk he was making for me. Yes, making. My father made me a desk. It's colour is a fabulous yellow, it has a drawer that can keep my school supplies, and more importantly, it is big enough to do all my homework efficiently! I love big desks because I have room to spread all my things and I don't really have time to think about stuff falling off my desk when I'm on the verge of some mathematical exercise question success. So yeah. I appreciate my father and his magnificence in carprentry.

I also found out that we own a sewing machine! My dad got it second hand in some website and it didn't come with an instruction manual so he never knew how to use it, but I'm going to try my best to make it work although I am about as experienced in sewing as a cat. I have already found an online instruction manual, so we will see how it goes. This sudden interest in sewing is not at all random. It's a result of watching to much Project Runway. It definitely got me super interested in fabric and designs and obviously sewing, which is a huge feat because I used to hate sewing. I got to do it as a school project when I was a wee first year in the Philippines but I never could get the sewing machine to work, so the "pajamas" that was going to be my final grade had a better purpose as a washcloth. However I'm going to try and change that attitude because sewing is actually a pretty useful life skill. I'll let you guys know how that one goes.

On a more sombre note, I want to address the death of a famous Irish poet, Seamus Heaney. I was never the biggest fan of him, but we did some of his poems in the Junior Cert and I remember relating quite well to his poem, Death of a Naturalist. My english teacher loved his poems and so I have so many memories sitting in class and reading and analysing his poems. I remember one winter in second year when it was snowing really hard, and there was only a few of us in class because the other girls were gone for some reason, and looking out the window was the most beautiful winter scene I had ever seen in my life. Everything was covered in white except for the pine trees, which served as a beautiful back drop for the falling snow. I think we were reading a poem of Seamus Heaney then. I didn't know that I even treasured this memory until now. The knowledge of his death gives me lonely, nostalgic feelings for my childhood, which I could feel slipping out of my grip. The start of fifth year ended something, which I can't quite put a finger on. All I know is that I feel like I'm running out of time, like I'm running on a treadmill that was set on a speed that is too fast and I'm struggling to keep up. Keep up with what, I don't know. But I'm this will all probably make sense further down the road, when I'm finally standing in a place that I'm presently dreading to be standing on.

Anyway, this marks the end of Blogging A Lot in August. I hope to see you guys real soon, and I hope you all have a lovely day!

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment