Wednesday, October 30, 2013

LADIES SURVEY 2013

This survey was created by Rosianna (missxrojas on youtube) a couple of months ago, and because I am me, I am as usual late to the party and I'm going to answer these questions now that everyone has forgotten about this survey. You're welcome.

The questions:
1) Do you agree that the internet is a harder space for women? Why? Is it helpful or harmful to acknowledge that ('that' being whatever your opinion is on the topic)?
I do agree that the internet is a harder space for women. It's definitely a lot harder to be recognised as a content creator in whatever platform you are in if you're female than if you're male, and I think we really should acknowledge that. I have observed in the years that I have been using the internet that people are more likely to dismiss or objectify a female content creator than a male one, and I think it is something that needs to change.

2) What is the most helpful book/article you've read/film you've watched/video you've seen this year about womanhood?
I am a huuuuge fan of Rookie, the online magazine. I find it incredibly empowering for teens but especially for females. One article that I have read that particularly resonated with me is their article on MIA. I've never heard of her before reading that article, and after reading it I did not only learn more about the singer but also about different kinds of social injustices. This paragraph just made every nerve ending in my body sing the Hallelujah chorus:
Because women and people of color have always been shamed for being too “emotional,” for daring to bring the personal into the political. Because the political is the personal. Because when you are a refugee who cannot go home because your own country is no longer safe to live in, how can you be any other way but emotional? When civil war has torn your country apart, when civilians in your country are taken hostage and killed in the crossfire, when you are the target of police brutality and racial profiling, when your very existence is criminalized and threatened because of your race or ethnicity or gender or sexuality, how can you take it any other way except personally?
You can find the article here.

3) Do you think a focus on supportive networks of women online, whether formally through things like Wonderly or informally is beneficial or hurts "the cause"?
I don't see why those kinds of networks couldn't be beneficial for women. It brings women together and I myself feel empowered when participating in online organisations like these.

4) What have you done to support female content creators in the past year? Are things better now than they were then? What do you pledge to do this coming year?
Youtube-wise I have done a lot of commenting on a lot of youtube videos as well as sharing videos I thought are worth sharing. As I've said earlier I have started reading Rookie and I'm loving it and I've recently discovered female writers/musicians/directors/actresses. I don't think things are better for women now. I think we still have a long way to go for women to be recognized just as much as men are. For this year I pledge to help out female content creators whenever I can and whenever I have the resources to do so.

5) Your favourite five internet females.
Caitlin of Bollykecks
Kate of AhitchersgoofhuntRosianna of Missxrojas (does that even need saying?)Marina of Marinashutup


Tavi and all of the writers of Rookie

That is all. And although this isn't really a tag, I would like Kate to do it. Cause that would be cool and awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment