Tuesday, December 24, 2013

PART ONE OF FOUR: A GENERAL BORING UPDATE THAT INCLUDES APOLOGIES, EXCUSES, AND THE LATEST NEWS ON MY LIFE

HELLO Hello. Yes, everyone. I am still alive. Not killed by home and school work as you guys have probably suspected., since I haven't posted a thing since, what, like, over a month ago? Anyway. I am here, alive and kicking, and I just wanted to greet you all a happy Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) and a prosperous New Year!

But greeting you is not the sole reason I decided to finally show up around here. I do miss blogging, and it is hard to find the time and motivation to do it (which is why I've been going MIA at times for the past, like, two years) but I still like doing it. To me it's a form of journalling and self-expression, and the biggest plus is I get to talk about my favourite topic: myself (*coughnarcissistcough*). And I know every New Year I say it, but I will not stop saying it until I actually do it: I want to blog more. Therefore I hereby announce that, even though I will be in my final and most difficult year of school for the second half of next year (which is probably all the more reason to do this), 2014 will be the year of writing and creativity. I will try not only to write more, but to actually participate in the blogging world. I've been blogging for nearly four years now and I think it's a real shame that I hardly know any fellow bloggers. So yeah, I will try and work on that.

Saying that school work would've killed me is not entirely unreasonable, as fifth year has been a total nightmare for me so far. I've been doing so good until the November sembreak, at which point I admit I've been incredibly careless and totally underestimated fifth year. As a result I got less than stellar Christmas results. I am happy with them, taking into account the work that I put into them, but it's just that I think I could've done so much better. Because of those results I had an epiphany, in which I realised that fifth year actually requires work (shocker). I can't just listen in class + stare at the pages of my book for about ten minutes, I have to actually pour my heart and soul into the epitome of BORE that is revision. If you know me I absolutely despise revising, almost as much as I hate household chores, and I loathe household chores pretty hard. The way I see it I'm not gaining anything from revising. I'm not learning new things (which is what I'm going to school for), I am just going over stuff I already know again and again and again and again until it is ingrained in the slab of meat that is my brain. It's pretty tiresome. But in fifth year, it's a requirement. So I guess I'm going to have to do that now if I want to get the results I want, even though it kills me. Because mar a deir an seanfhocal, you reap what you sow.

My work life has not been entirely bad though. I've recently joined the debating team in school with my friends. It's my first time to debate and I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm not the biggest fan of arguments, but it's actually pretty fun. I've been chosen as one of the speakers and I'm enjoying it so far. It's pretty nerve-wracking, but it feels so good when your team wins. The research part a couple of weeks before the debate is also great, especially when the team gets the side of the motion that you don't necessarily agree with. It's good learning about different sides of the argument, and learning how to adapt with the opinion that your team gets. Even though I don't agree with it, I actually usually end up going for whatever side we're on after the research, because I end up looking at that other side of the story. Saying that though, I have stated things that are not actually my opinion just because I thought it would be a good persuasion tool. Debating is a dirty business, man, but it's very good if you want to expand your boundaries and broaden your perspective.

As well as debating, I've also been busy with the Comhairle na nÓg in my county, of which I am a member for about two months now, and hopefully will be a member for the next two years. I attended their AGM last October (? or was it September?) through my friend Brónagh's invitation and decided to run for the election of new members. To my surprise, I was actually chosen, and that's how I ended up being in Comhairle. It is delightful. It's nice to be involved in the affairs happening in my country, especially that which involving young people, no matter how tiny my contribution is. I did my first Comhairle event a couple of weeks ago, where we handed out surveys and free wristbands as part of our Anti-Bullying campaign. We also got to design our own T-shirts, which I thoroughly digged. I also got to meet new people which was kind of nice, because I've been living in Ireland for the past four years and I only know people in my school (I'm not the most sociable person). Yeah, it's good, and I would really recommend it if you're into these kinds of shenanigans.

I think that's about it for me. That has been my life for the past two months and it has been great, really, if you don't take into account the stress of school. Hopefully things would be better school-wise next year. But for now, I'm in my Christmas break, and I will try not to think of that, at least until tomorrow.

OKAY GOODBYE.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment