Sunday, June 15, 2014

World Cup Season Is My Favorite Kind Of Season

I'm writing this during the one hour break in between the World Cup matches, about half an hour to go before the battle between Argentina and Bosnia And Herzegovina begins. I've been watching the World Cup this year fairly regularly since Friday, and I've really been enjoying it so far! I gotta say I'm not the biggest sports fanatic, but ever since the Spanish celebration I witnessed in Dublin in the semi-finals and finals of World Cup 2010, I've been hooked in watching one of the biggest sports tournaments of all time. I guess it just suits me. If I'm going to be a fan of something, I'm an all out fan of it, and so I can't be just a fan of soccer in general, because I don't have the time to see every match, get furious at every foul or unfair red card, and feel euphoria at every goal. The World Cup is perfect for me. I get so invested in that four weeks of soccer every four summers, and in between, I think absolutely nothing of sports. Until the next World Cup of course.

Bosnia and Herzegovina singing their national anthem.

As I said, Spain is the reason I became a fan in the first place.

ARGENTINA JUST GOALED TWO MINUTES INTO THE MATCH!!!!!!!!!!

As I was saying. Spain is the reason I became a fan in the first place, and so their team will always and forever hold a special place in the sportily-clad part of my heart. However, after seeing their embarrassing defeat against the Netherlands last Friday, I do feel just a little bit disheartened and cautious of the Red Fury. Having said that though, Spain remains my default team.

Half Time. 1-0 to Argentina.

Anyway, yeah. Spain remains my default team, but I'm still observing the teams and maybe after seeing Spain go against Chile on Wednesday I would stay loyal, or maybe not. Hopefully they'll turn their performance around.

I'm really really going to try and buy tickets for World Cup 2018, which is supposed to be set in Russia. Honestly I'm a little bit disappointed it's not in a hotter country, but whatever. I'll definitely see what I can do.

MESSI GETS A GOAL!!!

This is another thing I love about soccer, I think. The burst of satisfaction you get when the team you support gets a goal, looking at the slowed-down replays of the players' faces when they get that goal, it makes me feel happy, and in a weird way, accomplished. Even when I'm not (and probably will never be) the one playing in that field. It's still a great feeling.

Not to go on a tangent here, but am I the only one who measures her life in World Cups and Olympics? Four years ago I was a very different person than I am now, and in four years, I will be in college. It's strange to see it that way, no? It's very introspective, World Cup is. I love it. I love the feeling of unity, and, with the risk of sounding very cliché, the one-ness. It's a form of the mob mentality, I guess, but a lot more positive and a lot more socially acceptable. I've never been athletic, but watching the World Cup offers me that feeling without asking for anything much in return. Here's hoping that the Philippines gets in in 2018! A bit unlikely, but so is the 5-1 outcome of Netherlands vs. Spain last Friday. Still distraught about that.

I'm going to go now, because as seen by the stunted layout of this blog, I can't write and watch the World Cup at the same time. It's just not happening. So I'll see you guys later. And I don't want to jinx it, but Argentina's probably going to win this one. I'll P.S you all about it.

Love,
Danielle.

P.S. 2-1, Argentina wins. Thank God for Messi.

No comments:

Post a Comment